This was definitely a challenge for me, because I tried a new technique to make this striped design. It is part of the GOT Polish Challenge, using polishes older than 1 year and within the theme for that week. (Go to the bottom of the post to read more about the challenge.)
What I used:
- base coat (not shown)
- Dusk by Simply Irresistible
- Slammin’ by Gumballs
- silver (C96RF1) by Sally Hanson (unnamed, from French mani set)
- opaque shiny blue by Claire’s Cosmetics (unnamed, glitter-in-cap)
- blue glitter by Bon Bons (unnamed, no number)
- Sky Blue (NA910) by LA Colors (Art Deco collection)
- generic quick dry top coat (not shown)
- wax paper (not shown)
- nail clippers
What I did:
Step 1: Paint several coats of Slammin’, silver, and shiny blue colors on separate swatches (I did 2-5 coats, depending on the opacity of the polish, but more layers is easier to handle later on; next time I’m doing 4 coats for all of them).
Step 2: Let swatches dry before carefully peeling them off (more layers is better because they are thicker and easier to handle) and cutting them into strips.
Step 3: Base coat and let dry. Add 2 coats of Dusk to nails.
Step 4: When still very tacky, place the cut strips wherever you want them on the nail and smooth down. (If you took too long and the paint dried too much, paint a thin layer of top coat where you want to place the strips and stick them to that instead.) Cut the excess strip with the nail clippers.
Step 5: Add a few accent colors if you want by hand (I freehanded the lines of blue glitter and used the striper from the Sky Blue color to add that color in a clean line next to it, to cover any shakiness from the normal sized brush used from the blue glitter). Top coat and done!
If you’re interested in the GOT Polish Challenge…
This is the linkup page (how to sign up) for the Golden Oldie Thursday Challenge – “GOT Polish Challenge” by the Crumpet’s Nail Tarts (https://www.facebook.com/groups/purplecrumpetfairy/)
16th Jan – Stripes Open 9th to 23rd January!
* the polish you use should be at least one year old
* if you haven’t been a polishaholic that long, you can use the oldest polishes you have
* the polish should be previously used, but if you’re stuck, you could free a yearling from Mount Untried
* you can use more than 1 polish as long as it fits the theme and the rules