There is a new nail polish challenge out to encourage use of the old polishes that are waiting around to be used (older than 1 year within the prompt for that week). It’s called the GOT (Golden Oldie Thursdays) Polish Challenge, and is the first nail art challenge I’ve done, so I’m pretty excited. (Go to the bottom of the post to read more about the challenge.)
The first day is to use pink polish. I don’t normally wear pink anymore, so I had a lot of choices for old pink polish. I have wanted to try something in the current textured nail art trend so I thought this would be a good time to use old thick goopy polishes and make it part of the design.
What I used:
- base coat (not shown)
- shimmery nude polish by Kiss Colors (unnamed, no number, from French Mani set)
- very thick, opaque pale pink color (unnamed, no number)- this is also sort of a Frankenpolish (it was originally this color but faded over time, so I added color to restore it)
- bright pink sparkle color (unnamed, no number)
- quick dry top coat (not shown)
How I did it:
Step 1: Use base coat. When dry, add 1 coat of the shimmery nude color.
Step 2: When very dry, use the very goopy polish to create texture by smearing it around on the nail, and then roughing it up by touching the brush to the nail repeatedly to pick up some polish and move it around. If the polish is too thick, let it dry part way and do it again. Smooth over the really tall bumps but don’t make it too flat.
Step 3: When dry, use the bright pink and do the same thing, but this time the idea is to add color more than texture. The texture is there from the previous step.
Step 4: When mostly dry, use the goopy pale pink to put a few more bumps randomly on the top of the bright pink. Finish with top coat.
If you’re interested in the GOT Polish Challenge…
This is the linkup page (how to sign up) for the Golden Oldie Thursday Challenge – “GOT Polish Challenge” by the Crumpet’s Nail Tarts (https://www.facebook.com/groups/purplecrumpetfairy/)
9th Jan – Pink Open 2 – 16th January!
* the polish you use should be at least one year old
* if you haven’t been a polishaholic that long, you can use the oldest polishes you have
* the polish should be previously used, but if you’re stuck, you could free a yearling from Mount Untried
* you can use more than 1 polish as long as it fits the theme and the rules